Friday, September 01, 2006

Day 3: The Trek
The plan was to hike up to the top of a local incline (it's hard to call it a mountain with the alps in the background) at Uetliberg and snap a lot of photos, and relieve my typing burden. Unfortunately, my camera gave me some sort of 'card not initialized' error. Too bad, because its the first sunny day here in weeks, and the views were spectacular. You can get an idea if you do a google image search for Uetliberg or Uto Kulm, which is the hotel at the top.

Dave mentioned the hike wasn't so bad, and this was confirmed by the desk staff at the loverly Bristol hotel. Somehow I missed the normal way up to the top and ended up on a grueling Grouse Grind version of the ascent. The bonus was that I only saw one other person, so I could rest often without shame. I must have been in War God form (wild-eyed, sweaty, hair flying) as I emerged from the forest onto the main trails, because everyone looked at me like an invading norseman.

Once at the top of the earth-upraising, you can climb another 70 meters up the tower. From this vantage point, you can get some pretty darn spiffy views of the lake, the surrounding alps and the city of Zurich itself. Shame about that camera, for both of us dear reader.

There's a good description of the hike here. I started at Albisguetli (left side of the map down a bit) and ended up at Ueitliburg Kulm.

PS.
The 'take-away' indian place next door has all the kabob places beat by a mile.

No comments: